Everywhere (in magazines, newspapers, email, Internet, and blogs), we see articles on tips and tricks to clear our clutter. We often think of that clutter as papers, books, and piles of stuff. While it is important to manage that clutter, consider for a moment that our time also can be cluttered. Give yourself a gift of time. Tackle time clutter for a stress-free life. Get a small timer and designate it for use as your business timer.
- Stay on Track. By setting your business timer as a reminder of your next event, you can focus totally on your project without having the distraction of constantly looking at the clock. You won’t waste time or energy constantly redirecting your attention. You’ll get more done in less time.
- Set time limits. Set your timer for 30 or 60 minutes or more. Completely focus on just one thing for that entire time. Then if you need more time for the project, add minutes as needed. If a project or task pops into your thoughts tempting you to move to that activity, jot a note on a paper to deal with that later. We are tempted to interrupt our focus because “it will only take a moment” and we don’t want to forget to do it.
- Email notification. Shut it off! Every time an email comes in and the ping sounds, it distracts you. Every distraction takes 5 – 15 minutes away from your project. You might set your timer to alert you a few times each day to check your email.
- Relaxation. Set the business timer for power naps or periods of relaxation to relieve stress. Then relax completely without having to worry about missing the next event.
- Avoid perfectionism. Work for excellence – get it 80% perfect and get the job done.
Strategy: Use these tips to enable you to focus and get more done in less time. That way you are giving yourself a Gift of Time. By clearing your time clutter, you will have more time to savor the moments.